Katherine Butler Jones, 1957, Trustee 1973-1978

Katherine Butler Jones, 1957

Jones majored in economics and sociology. Much of her work after graduation was working towards fair housing, equal rights, and integration within the school systems in her Newton, MA neighborhood. In 1966, she founded the Newton Public Schools’ Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunities (METCO) Program, which enrolled students of color from Boston in Newton schools.

“We knew that we were viewed by many of our peers as a curiosity. We knew there was something wrong, but I wasn’t sure how to handle these peculiar situations – … the questioning of my roommate about her ‘negrophile’ problem when it was learned that she had chosen to live with me… the tension filled silence in the dorm smoker on May 17, 1954 when the Supreme Court outlawed segregation in the nation’s public schools. But at the same time, we knew that we were competent, creative women whom the College expected great things from. That was the legacy and the tradition of Mount Holyoke that we inherited…Our legion has grown and the friendships made at Mount Holyoke during the intervening years are the most meaningful asset of my college experience.”*

*Written in a pamphlet fundraising for the Equal Opportunity Fund, 1987/88. Students and Alumnae Profiles and Statistics Series 6: African American Students.