Week 3 Takeaways—03 Wednesdays

5 responses to “Week 3 Takeaways—03 Wednesdays”

1. My takeaway from last week is the discovery that writing can unlock memories. When I was writing about my father’s kitchen, I started to remember little details that were long forgotten, which I really loved. This is something interesting to consider putting into a regular practice.

2. Last week I enjoyed hearing everyone’s responses to the “what can be divided by 0” prompt. It was really interesting to observe how different people can have such contrasting interpretations of the same question.

3. I was honestly very surprised that so many people in class didn’t enjoy the readings. I enjoyed Ann Beard’s very much (but I’ve also done a lot of research on school shootings for one of my classes in Germany). The style of writing and how certain (traumatizing) events are connected/anchored to/by repetition or objects is something I find very intriguing (e.g. the dog, food). I was reminded that not everyone enjoys everything that is considered “well-written.”

4. I liked how we got to choose prompts and I particularly struggled with the first prompt “What can be divided by 0” and though I was completely blank, I was looking forward to my peer’s take on this. I admire how they have used “something/everything” and nothing in juxtaposition to each other and in the same sentence and I also found the concepts fascinating.

5. During this week of creative writing class, I had worked on and discussed the value of incorporating sensory details into storytelling. Describing sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and textures vividly not only brings a story to life but also immerses the reader in the narrative. I used to do it a lot prior to taking this class as well, but the experience of using it on my class essays within just five minutes, made me, realize that right amount of anything is so important. It emphasized the importance of engaging all the senses to create a more immersive and memorable reading experience, but never overdo it, especially in small pieces.