Staff Profile

MHC ESOL Program consists of one amazing program director and four excellent student staff members. We are so excited to meet you and provide you with more abundant academic resources and events!

MHC ESOL Program Staff

Program Director

Name: Mark Shea

Hi! My name is Mark Shea. I grew up in Worcester, MA, which is about an hour east of MHC. I minored in Latin in college, and then I lived in Prague for a few years where I learned Czech.

In addition to my work with the ESOL Program, I’m also the Director of the Speaking, Arguing, and Writing Program and a professor in the English Department. I help organize a faculty/staff Ultimate Frisbee game on the weekends (when the weather’s nice)–students are welcome to play too!

Student Staff

Name: Asmi Shrestha

Class of 2026

Prospective Major: International Relations

Hey! My name is Asmi and I am an international student from Kathmandu, Nepal. I speak 5 languages (including English). I am a native speaker of Nepali and Newari (which are my ethnic languages) and a fluent speaker of Hindi and Urdu (which I picked up from watching Bollywood movies at a young age). 

I am an executive board member of AWAZ and NEPSO which are both cultural organizations for South Asian students on campus. I tend to move around campus a lot but you might catch me on the first floor of Blanch, or in the Library Atrium. One fact about me is that I really like to doodle– you’ll see a lot of my scribbles all over my notebooks (maybe yours too!).

Name: Keisha Modi

Class of 2026

Prospective Major: Computer Science 

Hi, my name is Keisha and I am from Kenya. I am currently a sophomore and prospective Computer Science major with a possible minor in film. I speak Swahili, a native Kenyan language, and English.

Other than being a part of the ESOL team, I am a member of MHACASA, APAU, Girls Who Code, and Daughters of Zion. One fun fact about me is that I love Jiu-jitsu and one day hope to continue in my training. 

Name: Serafina Wang

Class of 2026

Major: Environmental Studies

Hey guys! My name is Serafina. Besides proficiency in English, I am a native speaker of Chinese (Mandarin). I grew up in Chengdu, which is the hometown of pandas in China 🙂

Apart from being an ESOL student, I am also a Chinese mentor and a member of the chorale, so you could often see me hanging around either in the LCC room in Ciruti or on the first floor of Pratt Music Hall. Stop by and say hi!  A fun fact about me is that I love the symbol of the Red Pegasus the most. Hooray for Red Pegasi!