Transportation in Beijing

Transportation in Beijing is very convenient compared to where I live in the states (even compared to the 5 college area)

Subway: Very convenient and clean. I feel like compared to NYC and Tokyo, Beijing’s train system is the easiest to understand and get around. Beida is on line 4 and you can easily transfer to other lines (plenty of signs around to figure out where to go, including exits with signs describing where things are in the specific exits). (price: cheapest is 3yuan, most I think I paid was maybe 8yuan for one way). I highly recommend getting a subway card (Pay a deposit for the card but you can get reimbursed when you return your card at the end of the program at the station). It is much quicker and very convenient. Sometimes during certain hours there are people lined up at the ticket machines, but if you have a card, you can just go and walk through. It is easy to refill it at the booth near the ticketing area. Also you can use your card to get half off for your bus ride. Before you walk to your train, you must put your bags through a small screening machine and if you have any bottled water/liquids, you will have to either drink it when you go through or they have a sensor/machine you can put your bottle on. Train systems stop maybe around 10pm (I forgot the exact time), so plan ahead! Otherwise you can take a cab instead.

Bus: There are multiple bus stops outside of Beida. (I forgot which gate is which  for where they are located). If you want to go to Wudaokou (has a mall and other stores nearby), you can walk out of one of the campus gates and take a left and head straight past the train station towards the bridge/overpass. If you take #331, it will take you to Wudaokou. I think it is about a 10-15min ride but sometimes might have to wait a while for the bus to come. You can also walk to Wudaokou which takes about 20min. Busses I have taken have been 1yuan with my subway card.

Cabs: Much less expensive than the US. Going to the Pearl Market from Beida was about 86yuan total. I felt the ride was maybe 45min long. (to get a cab, just stick your arm out) Also you may see lots of cabs pass by but may be difficult to come across an empty one with no other passengers already, so be patient 🙂 (but usually I never had to wait long to get one).

DO NOT TAKE BLACK CABS or from any other person who offers a ride “for a cheaper price”! It can be very dangerous. Only take the official cabs which you can tell by the designs on the cars. (usually has a yellow stripe with either orange, green, purple, maroon)

1 Comment

Add Yours