Enregistrement Audio

When I read the passage I selected, I included the pronunciation of the end syllable because in the Middle French period, they pronounced the last syllable. Specifically in relation to the word final /e/ of conjugated verbs, since most verbs still contained the Latin /et/ ending, in which the /t/ was pronounced, the e would also have been pronounced and so I read it as though it was. As I read, I also tried to roll the sounds a bit as that is also something that was very popular. Some of the words I pronounced how I thought they would be pronounced, like serjanez for example, because they no longer exist in Modern French in the same style. With words such as that, I pronounced the grapheme /j/ as the affricate [dz]. Articles like li, I pronounced similar to how le/les is pronounced today since there is no clear Latin root, yet a version of it still exists today. I pronounced /c/’s at the beginning of the word as a hard k because that is the sound that was used for them and /c/’s within the body of the word that did not have a cedilla or other accent marker of some kind or were not followed by a /t/, I pronounced with a hard c because the cedilla indicates that an t was removed from the word during some stage of morphology or it can also represent the palatalization of the t and k plosives. When it came to articles like des, I pronounced the word ending velar fricative /s/ as [dz] because of it’s placement in the word. In some cases, the diphthongizing of words also changed the pronunciation but for my selected passage, it rarely happened.