Language Mentors

2022-2023 Language Mentors

Most languages taught at Mount Holyoke College have mentors who offer weekly Language Q&A sessions in the Language & Culture Commons in Ciruti.

Mentors have met the language departments’ criteria for language proficiency. They are trained at the start of each semester and continue to develop their language assistance skills through guided reflection, exploration, and study activities.

Mentor in Russian

Olga Golovatskaia

Привет (Hi)! My name is Olga Golovatskaia, and I am so excited to be your language mentor in Russian this year! I was born in a small city in the norther part of Russia, it is my second year here, and I intend on majoring in Computer Science. Do not hesitate to come by my Q&A sessions if you have any questions or to just say hi! До встречи (See you)!

Schedule:

Tuesdays 6-8 pm, Language & Culture Commons (6A)

Mentor in Chinese

Astrid Zhao

Hi everyone! My name is Astrid Zhao. I am a junior, double-majoring in Computer Science and Statistics. am from Beijing, China. I enjoy dancing Chinese traditional dance and writing Chinese Calligraphy. I also love horseback riding and reading. am the chair of the Chinese Culture Association and Sky Dance Club. Feel free to contact me if you are interested!

Schedule:

Tuesdays 6-7 pm and Wednesdays 5-6 pm in the Language & Culture Commones (6D)

Mentor in Italian

Charley Smith

Ciao, my name is Charley Smith (she/her) and I am so excited to be your Italian Language Mentor this semester! Please feel welcome to come by a Q&A session for study tips, questions, or to practice conversation. I’m looking forward to learning with you all! Ci vediamo!

Schedule: Tuesdays & Wednesdays 5-6 pm, Language & Culture Commons (6A)

Mentor in Japanese

Yui Sakai

I am Yui Sakai and I am an international student from Nagano Prefecture, Japan. I am a senior majoring in Gender Studies and Psychology. I am obsessed with hot springs and sushi. Please feel free to ask any questions (including hot spring recommendations)!

Schedule: 
Mondays & Wednesdays 5:00-6:00 pm, Language & Culture Commons (09)

Mentor in French

Shanthini Ragoonaden

Bonjour! My name is Shanthini (pronounced Shan-ti-ni) and I am an International Student from a small island called Mauritius. It’s a francophone (and anglophone) island found next to Madagascar. I love studying languages, especially creole languages, as a product of colonization or globalization.

Schedule:

Tuesdays: 4-5 pm via Zoom
Thursdays: 6-7 pm, Language & Culture Commons (6A)

Mentor in Korean

Yeahne Kim

Hello everyone! My name is Yeahne (yay-ahn) Kim, and I am a junior majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics. I was born and grew up in South Korea until I moved to the US when I was 16.I look forward to seeing you all at Q&A sessions!

Schedule:

Wednesdays & Fridays 4:30-5:30 pm, Language & Culture Commons (6E)

Mentor in Spanish

Juliette Gagnon Strong Heart

¡Hola, my name is Juliette Gagnon Strong Heart. I use she/ella or they/elle pronouns. I am class of 2024. I call the Berkshires and The Connecticut River Valley home. I am a Spanish and Environmental Studies double major. I ride for the Mount Holyoke Western Team. I am also the Zowie-Banteah Cultural Center Program Assistant and Building Manager. I enjoy art and reading.

Schedule:

Mondays & Thursdays 5-6 pm, Language & Culture Commons (6E)

Mentor in German

Hannah Heierhoff

Hallo! My name is Hannah Heierhoff (she/her), class of 2025 and I am an international student from Wiesbaden, Germany. I am very excited to be working as a Language Mentor in German this year and helping other students get to know the German language and culture. I hope to get to know many of you throughout the year! Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the German language or Germany in general. I also love to read so if you need any book recommendations in German, I am happy to help.

Schedule:

Mondays & Thursdays 7:30-8:30 pm, Language & Culture Commons (6A)